Zone Radio Online is a listener driven development radio station, launched on 1 April 2011 that uses the internet as its broadcast platform. It varies from terrestrial radio in that does not make use of conventional radio transmitters and can only be received using hardware connected to the internet. This is the only difference. In all other respects, it is exactly the same. The station is privately owned and generates revenue through advertising sales and feature sponsorships.
Draconian regulations, limited frequencies and the high cost of licensing make it almost impossible for any radio entrepreneur to launch a terrestrial radio station in South Africa. In short, the ownership of radio is the domain of a "select few" resulting in broadcasting monopolies that are forced to "play by the rules" or risk killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Sadly these impacts on programming and often broadcast talent, both young and old, are overlooked. For almost 20 years as a presenter and trainer, this has frustrated me no end and, while the broadcasting landscape remained unchanged, there was little anyone could do. However, the arrival of high-speed internet and the associated technology has changed everything. Now, for the first time, radio entrepreneurs have the opportunity to launch radio stations online and this is exactly what we at Zone Radio Online have done. At its core is programming that is listener driven, music that is listenable and brings back memories. But above all it is a radio station where broadcast talent will be given a chance develop and shine.
Our small team is well aware that we face many challenges. We will face these head-on and, given our passion and belief, we will "make it happen". Working in our favour is that fact that the internet is becoming cheaper, faster and more widespread. In other words there is no need for us to chase the technology, it will come to us. All we had to do was take the first step and start.
In achieving the above, we plan to focus on the following key areas:
* We will playlist the kind of adult contemporary music that is absent from existing radio stations in South Africa.
Provide a platform for local musicians, of all genres, to showcase their talent.
* Develop a training program for young people who wish to become involved in radio as producers, journalists or presenters.
* Provide a place where young presenters and sound technicians will be given the opportunity to hone their skill.
* We will work towards giving grassroots sports a voice on radio.
* Offer clients cost effective but creative advertising solutions using the multi-media platforms available via the internet.
* To be an employer of choice and provide employment opportunities to people (young and old) who share our vision and who will contribute to the growth of the business.
* Give air time to niche music genres through specialized programming – e.g. Blues, Afrikaans, Metal and Jazz etc.
* Remain interactive with our listeners so as to develop a “Zone Radio Community”
* Portray the best of South Africa to the world.
Against this background our mission is as follows:
Zone Radio Online is an equal opportunity employer that profits from the delivery of programming content that satisfies the needs of its listeners and by so doing provides a captive audience for its clients. This is achieved through
* programming that has adult contemporary music at its core
*programming that is entertaining and educational but never offensive
*the cultivating an interactive “Zone Radio Community”
*creative and innovative and cost effective advertising solutions for our clients
*the development of journalistic, technical and broadcasting talent
*the provision of a platform where South African musicians can showcase their talent
Users who are followed by Zone Radio
The Forest, Netherlands