Building within a building: The James and Mary Emelia Mayne Centre by UQ Art Museum published on 2016-10-21T02:55:32Z In 2004, UQ’s James and Mary Emelia Mayne Centre (formerly Mayne Hall), designed by Robin Gibson OAM (1930–2014), was converted into the UQ Art Museum by Wilson Architects. While differences of opinion continue to surround this project, we open up the discussion to consider the philosophies and politics of this extraordinary conversion in the context of the Museum’s 40th year anniversary exhibition 'beyond the Tower: UQ Art Museum – 40 years and counting'. Featuring Hamilton Wilson (conversion architect), Bill Heather (architect, who worked with Gibson on the design of Mayne Hall) and Alan Egan (Director, UQ Properties and Facilities Division). Chaired by Dr Campbell Gray, Director, UQ Art Museum. Recorded 4 October 2016 Image: Opening of Mayne Hall 31 March 1973. University of Queensland Archives.