I am a composer and drummer.
I’m interested in contemporary classical music, but also in jazz, rock and pop. I am open to all sorts of collaborations related to music, video and other multimedia projects.
You can listen to my work at http://soundcloud.com/sector9000
I started playing accordion when I was five years old. When I was eight I decided to become a drummer. I had my first paid live performance at the age of 14. Since then, I’ve played in a number of bands and small orchestras along the years, mainly pop and rock, although experimental music has always been of great interest, too.
I have participated in:
- Drumming clinics, under the guidance of Eg Thigben (http://www.edthigpen.com),
- Courses on playing jazz, held by Atro (Wade) Mikkola (http://koti.welho.com/amikkol2/) and Pekka Leander at Otava Folk High School in Finland
- Music technology courses,
- Courses on studio working, audio-visual working,
- Courses on composing, under the guidance of Matti Ruippo, Miika Salavuo, Jukka Linkola and Otto Romanowski,
- Workshops for composers and musicians during the contemporary music festival Music of time in Viitasaari, Finland (http://www.musiikinaika.org/fi), under the guidance of many acknowledged international and Finnish composers.
I started studying composing first by myself and then by participating in courses and seminars (Writing for percussion instruments by Olli-Pekka Martikainen at Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland)
During the recent years I’ve become more and more interested in contemporary (classical) music. For many years my mentor in this field has been Oliver Kohlenberg who himself was a student of Györgi Liget. Another great teacher has been the Finnish composer and guitar-artist Kai Nieminen (http://www.kainieminen.net/index_en.htm)
Nowadays, I’m interested in many different styles and genres of music, though my main interest has been for many years, and still is, 12-tone music. I find both science of music and musical research by IRCAM (http://www.ircam.fr/) greatly inspirational.
People who have inspired me as a composer and musician:
Otto Romanowski (http://webusers.siba.fi/~oromanow/ Otto has inspired me with his great knowledge and activity in the field of contemporary music.
Finnish drummer Markus Ketola. Tony Royster Jr. especially with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnyjmrHEuw&feature=related
Jimi Hendrix, Cream, King Krimson, Steve Miller band
Count Basie, Buddy Rich, The Machito Orchestra, Afro Cuban
Igor Stravinsky, Anton Bruckner, Johan S. Bach, G.F. Händel
Arnold Schönberg, Alban Berg, Anton Webern, György Ligeti, Elliot Carter, Aaron
Paavo Heininen, Mikko Heiniö, Kalevi Aho, Tapio Tuomela, Oliver Kohlenberg, Kai Nieminen, Perttu Haapanen, Jukka Tiensuu, Lotta Wennäkoski, Kaija Saariaho, Magnus Lindberg, Otto Romanowski
and countless others.