If you want to improve your performance, optimize recovery and build endurance, Brian Mackenzie is the man to listen to. From breath work to proper programming, to ice baths and saunas, Brian has a toolbox with something for everyone in it.
Brian is my guest on Episode 206 of the #RenegadeRadioPodcast. He is a world-renowned strength and conditioning coach who founded Crossfit Endurance and Power-Speed-Endurance. He is also the author of several great books including “Unplugged: Evolve from Technology to Upgrade Your Fitness, Performance and Consciousness”, “Power, Speed, Endurance” and “Unbreakable Runner”.
In this episode. we discuss the relationship between strength and conditioning. Brian details how to add conditioning to your training without risking injury or burnout. We delve into how to breathe to improve performance, provide tips for optimal recovery, talk about the mistakes people commonly make in training and so much more.
· The life lesson he learned while surrounded by sharks in the ocean. [10:35]
· Why the co-author of Unplugged, Dr. Andy Galpin, didn’t like Brian at first. [14:59]
· How Brian determines which relationships to prioritize and put time and effort into. [25:50]
· How the creation and evolution of crossfitendurance.com catapulted Brian to success. [35:43]
· How a training mask helped him develop his breath work methods. [42:51]
· The mistakes people commonly make in their training. [56:43]
· Why he likes the Dorian Yates approach to training. [1:13:31]
· Why you should leave your sunglasses at home sometimes. [1:24:27]
· How to prepare your feet for minimalist shoes and barefoot running. [1:32:54]
· What is Brian’s biggest struggle or weakness right now? [1:46:30]
· How Kelly Starrett inspired Brian’s Instagram handle and his mantra. [1:49:12]
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic, which I use every single day. What is Four Sigmatic? It's mushroom coffee made with the active ingredient, Lion’s mane mushroom (also known as the “smart mushroom”). I know you're going to say you don't want to drink coffee that tastes like mushrooms, but it doesn't. Four Sigmatic:
· Is gut friendly and great for those who get an upset stomach from regular coffee.
· Gets you cranked up for your day, but not jittery and anxiety ridden because it contains less than half the caffeine of regular coffee.
· Comes in handy packets that you just mix with hot or cold water. Takes just a second to prepare.
Go to http://www.foursigmatic.com/jay and use the code JAY to get 15% discount.
This episode is also brought to you by Audio Books
Go to http://www.audiobooks.com/jay to start listening to critically-acclaimed, best-selling audiobooks including some of my favorites like Essentialism, How to Win Friends & Influence People and The Art of Noncomformity!
With Audiobooks you can learn and generate new ideas anywhere, anytime.
· Download or stream audiobooks on your smartphone or tablet with our free apps for iOS and Android
· Choose from more than 100,000 titles, including top-rated business books written by leaders and innovators in the field
· Listen to your first audiobook for FREE and if you like the service, enjoy a new book every month
· Access our Member Deals section where you can take advantage of great bundles and BOGOs
Go to http://www.audiobooks.com/jay to get your free book.
This episode is also brought to you by Athletic Greens.
You never know what’s going to come up in your day; however, with just one scoop of Athletic Greens when you wake up or add it to your morning smoothie, you know you have all of your bases covered. It’s easy, and it tastes great.
Go to http://www.AthleticGreens.com/Jay to receive a special offer as a listener of the podcast.
Thanks for listening,