Luis Cabrera a.k.a. NegK (Cuenca, Ecuador, 1986) realized after he first played the bass guitar that his world would revolve around music. His auditory existence has always allowed him to be close to new musical trends. Attentive to the growing electronic movement in his country, he became an aficionado and collector of the genre.
In 2003, he traveled to New York City, acquired his first turntables, and started to build his record collection with a minimalistic house and techno sound. In this way, he propelled himself in this musical realm and began his career as a DJ.
He introduced himself to the local underground scene by playing at the city’s first private parties and after-parties. His minimalist tech house and techno style, new at the time, quickly captivated the public, consolidating a large group of followers.
In a short time, he established himself at both a local and national level, giving him the opportunity to organize events and become part of the most important festivals and parties in Ecuador, thanks to help from his great friend Pancho Piedra, considered the pioneer of the underground movement in Ecuador. He has educated the public to this movement, making Cuenca one of South America’s most important locations in the underground music scene. At the same time, NegK was an important part of creating this new way of life in the city.
His musical taste and tendency has led to him sharing the booth with celebrated DJs such as Francis Harris aka Adultnapper, Konrad Black, Magda, Marc Houle, Jeremy P Caulfield, Franco Cinelli, Tony Rohr,John Selway, Cesare vs Disorder, Shadi Megalla, Connie, and others.
In 2008, NegK move to New York where he found a much larger open door for his musical career, and little by little he has risen in the New York music scene, where he has great recognition. In a short time, he became a resident DJ for Rite of Wednesdays in the Lower East Side club Karma, where he played in one of the most important Wednesday night events in New York. From there, more opportunities opened, leading him to play some of the most important clubs in New York, such as Cielo, TBA, National Underground, Stay, Porch, and others. It has also led him to be part of incredible lineups comprised of both local and international talents.
In time, NegK began to consolidate his own sound and style: a retro-groove mix with a minimalistic tendency and a base between house and techno. Today, he works at his label AnusualRecords, which launched in 2010 in Barcelona. Soon, he will print new releases on wax and he host a Radio Show en Sub.Fm (London) every two thursdays a month plus a summer residency in the Hamptons where he's a promoter and Dj in different parts of the end of Long Island.
List of important Appearances:
- "Tripy Tripy FEST", November 2008 w. ADULTNAPPER, JORGE SAVORETTI,
ISRAEL VICH (Cuenca,EC)
- "Bleep Loop Boom" March 2009 (Cuenca, EC)
- "Lola FEST" May 2009 (Cuenca, EC)
- "102.1FM Zona Electronica" May 2009 (Cuenca, EC)
- "Electro Mundo" w. CESARE VS DISORDER Jun 2009 (Montanita, EC)
- "Stereo Club" July 2009 (Southampton, NY)
- "Memory Motel" July 2009 (Montauk, NY)
- "The Lake" September 2009 (Brooklyn, NY)
- "102.1FM Zona Electronica" November 2009 (Cuenca, EC)
- "La Cantina" w. FRANCO CINELLI December 2009(Cuenca, EC)
- "Quinta Balzay" w. KONRAD BLACK January 2010(Cuenca, EC)
- "Cazbar" w. LOMEZ February 2010 (Baltimore, MD)
- "The Wind Up Space" February 2010 (Baltimore, MD)
- "Twice as Proper" February 2010 (NYC)
- "Trilogy" w. KYLE GEIGER April 2010 (Brooklyn ,NY)
- "Sugar Beat" May 2010 (Jersey City,NJ)|
- "Pow Wow FEST" May 2010 (Baltimore, MD)
- "Red Maple" w. DJ OJI (Baltimore, MD)
- "Trilogy June 2010" (Brooklyn, NY)
- "Trilogy July 2010" (Brooklyn, NY)
- "Dance Summer FEST 2010" August 2010 (EastHampton, NY)
- "MOOG" September 2010 (Baltimore, MD)
- "MOOG" November 2010 (Baltimore, MD)
- "Anser" November 2010 (NYC)
- "KARMA RESIDENCY" December 2010-May 2011 (NYC)
- "National Underground" w. TONY ROHR & JOHN SELWAY (NYC)
- "Porch" February 2011 (NYC)
- "Kowli"March 2011(Baltimore, MD)
- "Twice as Proper" April 2011 (NYC)
- "CIELO" April 2011 (NYC)
- "Don’t Freak Out" June 2011 (Southampton,NY)
- "Dance Summer 2011" July 2011 (Amagansett, NY)
- "Stay" August 2011 (NYC)
- "Porch" August 2011 (NYC)
- "CIELO" October 2011 (NYC)
- "The Freak Show Vol.1" January 2012 (Amagansett, NY)
- "Garden Spring Fest" April 2012 (Amagansett, NY)
- "Andrra RESIDENCY SUNSETS PARTY" Summer 2012
- "Dance Summer 2012" w. CONNIE, SHADI MEGALLA, HOLOSOUND (Amagansett, NY)
- "South Fork Sound Show Case" December 2012 (Amagansett,NY)
- "Armageddon at Amagansett" December 2012 (Amagansett,NY)
- "RADIO SHOW RESIDENCY" Sub.FM December 2012 till NOW.
- "Karma" April 2013 (NYC)
- "NEOTERIC RESIDENCY" Summer 2013 (Amagasett, NY)
- "Dance Summer 2013" August 2013w. CONNIE, SHADI MEGALLA, AMAURY ARIAS
- "TBA" September 2013 (Brooklyn,NY)