January 2013 marks the third anniversary since Nebakaneza was born from the ashes of a DJ burned at the stake for his sorcery. After 4 years of service to the night, he became possessed by this mystical music that deceitfully lured the youth into doing unspeakable things. He was shunned by his followers and exiled for his betrayal. As he wandered the land as an outcast, no longer spinning Top 40 which he loathed, he wondered how he could possibly survive this harsh environment alone. No more slavery to bar owners whipping him, and no more requests meant he was finally free from his chains, but no longer welcome in society, and he was without a home.
In utter shame he decided to conceal his identity and attempt to sneak back into the land that abandoned him. Slicing his hands for many hours under the moonlight, he painfully carved his first mask from the skull of a sacrificed goat. Johnny Five (at the time called himself "Sonny Daze"), found Nebakaneza wandering through the wilderness with blood dripping down his new face, and joined him on his journey. It was a dark Thursday night in the city of Oak as Nebakaneza and Johnny approached. There was a crowd already awaiting their arrival with fire in hand and sharp glances of hatred in their souls. As they retreated back into the shadows, they found a handful of bright souls amidst the evil. They welcomed Ivette Michel, Devin Harrison, Suzee Yang and a few others to follow them into the abyss.
They made a pact to build their own utopia where they would not be judged and Ritual was soon born. As the weeks passed, Saint Jonathan introduced Nebakaneza to King David Winans and the fearless Ro Knew. He became initiated as a member of the warrior tribe, "Irie Cartel". Months passed and more leaders were appointed, such as Father Foobz, Mr Kitt the Knight and the court jester Trevor Kelly. Their kingdom grew as more brothers and sisters joined.
On Jan 17th 2013, I decided to do a throwback set of my favorite tunes of 2009, which was the year I made up my mind to drop all the bullshit and follow my heart. I know it doesn't really seem like that big of a deal, but it can be really hard to burst out of your comfort bubble.
I announced that it would be my only unmasked set, but it was just a trick. Technically I didn't wear a mask, but you still couldn't see me. I blacked out all the windows in the DJ booth with trash bags, and stapled a white canvas over the front of the DJ booth. Then I mounted a spotlight behind me so all you could see was my shadow. I opened the night so the place hadn't quite filled up yet, but I still got to troll over 200 people, Hahahahahaha!!!!
1) Output 1-2 - Joker
2) Cats Eyes - Silkie
3) Whyle The Fuck Out - Matt U
4) Dedale - F & Headhunter
5) No Love (Caper Vocal Remix) - Brother Culture, Jellybass
6) Rat-A-Tat Tat Feat. Dynamite MC - Caspa
7) Gwaan Plant Refix - Brown and Gammon
8) The Illness Feat. Illaman (Noisses Remix) - Equalizers
9) Seven Figure Swagger (Bar9 Remix) - Foreign Beggars
10) Ice - Soul Sinners
11) Get Down - Vaski
12) Hard (Caspa & The Others 'The Police Takeover Remix') - Breakage ft. David Rodigan & Newham Generals
13) Seeeriousss - Noah D
14) Closer - Matta
15) Daily Awaking - Agbo
16) Square Of Life (Nailer Remix) - Ans
17) Bail Out - Vaski
18) Il Dire - (501 Remix) - Twisted, Redemption
19) Mojito - L-Wiz
20) Painkillers - Brown & Gammon
21) Make It Funky For Me (Rusko Remix) - Attacca Pesante, Shea Soul
22) Get Up (RSD Mix) - Pinch Feat. Yolanda
23) Adachigaharas Theme - ShockOne
24) Circle Of Fire - 501
25) End Dub (DZ Remix) - Woogie
26) Pulse - Bar 9
27) 6 Points - Kromestar
28) Protesta - Bukkha
29) Living Fire - Tes La Rok
30) Purple City - Joker & Ginz
31) Night By Night (Skream Remix) - Chromeo
32) You Wouldn't Understand - Vaski
33) Ignition - Downlink
34) Danger - Rdubz