Hi Path Menders,
This week on the Mended Paths Podcast, I’m honored to be speaking with The Plant Based Dietitian, Ms. Julieanna Hever. Julieanna is the author of the best-selling book The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition, The Vegiterranean Diet and co-author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking. She was the host of Z Living Network’s What Would Julieanna Do? Honestly, she has done too much to mention it all, but to give you a taste, she has been featured on the Dr. Oz Show, the Steve Harvey Show, she’s done a Ted Talk, and been published in medical journals, such as with her 2016 article A Physician’s Guide to Plant-Based Diets – an awesome read. She was also a special consultant on that little ol’ documentary Forks over Knives and contributed recipes to both FOK books.
Julieanna received her Bachelors degree from UCLA and Masters of Science in Nutrition at California State University, Northridge, where she also completed her Dietetic Internship.
In today’s show we discuss (show notes):
- Julieanna's interest in nutrition started at an early age (4:08),
- Her journey to plant based (4:49),
- The paradigm of Dietetic education (6:42),
- Humans diets are adaptable / an inversion of chronic vs infectious disease mortality (7:36),
- Striking the balance: Add more good? Cut bad? (8:54),
- Toxins and dangers of animal vs. plant foods (10:26),
- Diet is the #1 cause of Death and Disability in the US [and Canada] (12:38),
- On Protein (12:48),
- On Carbohydrates (17:07),
- On Fats (18:33),
- Are there plants to avoid? (20:32),
- The smoothie debate (22:21),
- On supplementation (24:59),
- It's complicated but also simple - eat whole plant foods (32:39),
- Cooked versus raw (36:12), and,
- Julieanna's advice for Path Menders (38:06).
Thanks for Listening!
Please check out Julieanna's website, The Plant Based Dietitian (http://plantbaseddietitian.com/). She can also be found on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PlantBasedDietitian/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/plantdietitian), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/plantdietitian?feature=mhee), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/plantdietitian/), and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/julieannahever/)!
Don’t miss an episode! Click here (//eepurl.com/cPYjG1) to join the Mended Paths Community and receive notification when a new episode is released. Plus, get your copy of the free Mended Paths: Back to Better “Healthy Living Quick Reference Guide” when you sign-up! You can also click here (https://www.facebook.com/groups/395816717446328/) to go to the Friends of the Mended Paths Podcast Facebook group or here (https://www.facebook.com/mendedpaths/) to go to the Mended Paths Facebook page.
Wishing you the Best of Health,
Chadwick @ The Mended Paths Podcast
Support the Mended Path Podcast and find great products and services at the links below:
Support on Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/mendedpaths)
Mended Paths Spices (https://www.mendedpaths.com/spices)
Health, Nutrition & Life Coaching (https://www.mendedpaths.com/coaching)
Podcast Merchandise (https://shop.mendedpaths.com/?product_cat=podcast-merchandise)
- Health & Wellness