Köln / Cologne
Mathias Schaffhäuser has been on the techno, house and minimal scene since 1994 when his first House EP was released on John Acquaviva's label Definitive Records.
2023, Mathias celebrates the 25th jubilee of his label WARE Records. To celebrate this incredible number in a fitting manner, the EP "25 Years Of Ware" with 4 new tracks from the label maker will be released in June.
2022 saw his 9th solo album „Biotopical“. It combines tracks which were released on Biotop records between 2015 and 2020 as a 'continuous mix', similar to what Schaffhäuser already did in 2002 on his third album From 4 to 6 a.m. on Blaou Sounds - this time again including subtle creative modifications, transitions and overdubs. Also 2 EPs were released in 2022, one of Mathias' project Fanatico X called “On The Brink, Vol. 2” featuring remixes by Indoor Man, Chocolate Garage Prod., Ryan Crosson and Made From Shadows. And the solo EP “Magnificent Madness” on canadian Suleiman Records with a stunning remix by Dub Taylor.
In 2021, Mathias was part of 2 cool remix projects, one for Si Begg's impressive remix series „Peripheral Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: Remixed“, and one for Öona Dahl and Hallucienda Records. On April 16 the EP "Carry On Today" (Ware 102) was released with remixes by Iron Curtis and a lovely cover version of Jefferson Airplane's song „Today“.
One year back, Mathias' label WARE released its catalogue number 100. To celebrate this anniversary Mathias released the EP "A Hundred Acts Of Devotion" with 5 new tracks. October 2020 saw the release of „On The Brink, Vol. 1“, the first remix EP of FANATICO X's 2nd album, featuring Man Power, Amir Alexander, Warehouse Preservation Society, Indoor Man and Ulysses on remix duty.
2019 saw the sophomore album release from Fanatico X called Love And Dancing On The Brink' on Hallucienda in November, as well as the September release of his 8th solo album „Hedonism, What Else“ on Snork Enterprises, new EPs on Fenou Records, Biotop Label and Ware Records, and several remixes.
In 2018 there was another reason to celebrate: The 20th jubilee of WARE was honoured with 3 releases featuring reworked and remixed Ware classics like „Nice To Meet You“ and „Desire“. Also 3 more EPs on Tiefschwarz's Souvenir Music, legendary British label Third Ear, and Biotop Label came out in 2018.
Other releases from Mathias have appeared on Compost, Tic Tac Toe Rec., Kompakt, Force Inc., Mo's Ferry Productions, Multicolor, BluFin Records, Adjunct, WIR Recordings, Blaou Sounds and many others. In 1997 he started WARE, releasing 102 EPs until today. His album „Lido Hotel“ with the well known track „Nice To Meet You“, released in 2000, marked his breakthrough in the techno scene. 2001 saw his massive club hit „Hey Little Girl“, and in 2002 „Musik ohne Bass“ permeated the clubs. In April 2005 he released his album „Coincidance“, its title track successfully remixed by Trentemøller. On his album „Unequal Equality“ (2009) Mathias collaborated with Lucy, Alex Smoke, Xhin, And.id, Benjamin Brunn and many others. He also produced remixes for Steve Bug (LoverBoy), Luomo (Tessio), Pan-Pot, German Kraut Rock legend Faust, [A]pendics.Shuffle, Goldfrapp, Indoor Life, Northern Lite, Dapayk & Padberg – to name a few.
As DJ, Schaffhäuser’s motto at the turntables is: “Purism sucks!” The quality of the music is what’s important, not sheer functionality and trendiness. His sets are usually very varied and range from his very own composition style to underground house to fancy niche techno. More and more Mathias uses his microphone while DJing and sings to his tracks, creating a very special live experience (https://soundcloud.com/mathias-schaffhauser/sets/mixes).
Some Feedbacks to 'WARE 100':
- Remute: „Nächtlicher Überfall“ is the hammer. This is the nasty, kickin' Cologne Sound. 100%.
- Eduardo De La Calle: Fantastic:)) „Nächtlicher Überfall“ is my fav !
- Iron Curtis: „Nächtlicher Überfall“ is the one. Happy 100! So many splendid records on this imprint!!
- Philippe Quenum: Hey guys, long time :-) I love a lot „Turia Park“ Great job.
- Danny Teneglia: Sounds great!
- Nikola Baytala: Mathias Schaffhäuser delivers one his strongest traxx to date! "I Fall With You" is awesome. Really vibing on this.
- Klaus Walter: yes
- Angel Molina: Nice varied release, as expected. 'Netto für Plus' as my pick on here, great intimistic electronica track.
- Moog Conspiracy: Yeah! Happy 100 release. I love the ep! I will play „Nächtlicher Überfall“.
- Zuckermann: wicked!!! love it, will play
Some Feedbacks to “Magnificent Madness” on canadian Suleiman Records:
- Acid Pauli: "Love this!"
- Ali Schwarz (Tiefschwarz): "i m loving it. great package. thank you for the music"
- Basti Schwarz (Tiefschwarz): "thx very much - all tracks - great"
- DJ THREE (Hallucienda Records): "all 3 cuts are in the crate... all will be played!"
- Angel Molina (Barcelona, Spain): "I'm into the timeless Dub Taylor Remix, nice dubtechno stuff, Force Tracks era came to my mind... Thanks."
- Colin Dale: "Excellent EP. All 3 cuts rock but 'Dub Taylor' remix smokes it......pure fire!"
- Peter Schumann: "wow !!!"
- Nuno dos Santos: "Love the Dub Taylor remix."
- Axel Boman: "magnificent madness indeed!!!!! <3"
- Red Pig Flower: "always good"
More music, infos and contacts: