"Gold Hill Line" - Leftover Salmon by m.Locke published on 2010/09/28 06:24:41 +0000 Found on KBCO Studio C: Local Edition This settlement is located to the northwest of Boulder, perched on a mountainside above Left Hand Canyon at an elevation of 8,300 feet. Originally a mining camp, it was the site of the first major discovery of gold during the 1859 Colorado Gold Rush and remained an important mining camp throughout the late 19th century, with a population approaching 1500 at its height, before falling into decline. It has been revived somewhat in recent years as a quiet isolated haven, with no paved streets, but easily accessed by dirt roads. The town contains numerous historic wooden structures, some restored in recent years, as well decaying ruins from its mining heyday. In September 2010, the Four Mile Canyon wildfire destroyed approximately 170 homes in and around Gold Hill.