Given that it’s only a few days before Christmas there’s a good chance you won’t be reading this, or listening to this podcast, where you normally would.
You might be travelling somewhere, or catching a break from shopping (or listening while shopping), or using it to get a few minutes to yourself away from the family. Or even playing it to the family (as a way of convincing them to let you have a few minutes to yourself). You might be listening to it as the first podcast you’ve downloaded on to some sort of new MP3 player. Of course, you might be listening while working normal hours throughout the festive period, as more people seem to do each year.
There was a temptation to do an end of year retrospective but instead I’ve chosen a few new things from bands or artists who released records I liked in 2012, ie. Vondelpark, A$AP Rocky (along with Joey Bada$$, Kendrick Lamar et al) and Sauna Youth. There’s also brand new Ela Orleans, Marnie Stern and Torche, excellent new releases on No Pain in Pop and Sonic Router and swooping ambience from Distances. I also finally catch up with the Mac DeMarco bandwagon, having spent much of the past week caught up in the ramshackle, Richman-esque charm of his recent album ‘2’.
A good portion of these songs, and about another 30 or 40 that I couldn’t fit in, will be played on a show I’m presenting on BBC 6 Music on Friday 28th December, when I’ll be covering Tom Ravenscroft. If, like me, you enjoyed the Goat album this year, you should listen in because the Swedish band have agreed to put together an exclusive mix for me. I’ll also be depping for Steve Lamacq from 4pm on 6 on Boxing Day.
While typing this I’m half watching a documentary about Chas and Dave on BBC4. It’s really very good indeed, and reminds me of hazy old pubs with sticky carpets and my late grandad’s whistling. I think I should probably go to bed. Catch the doc on the iPlayer while you still can.
Merry Christmas, and thanks for listening this year.
All Back No Front #7
1. Ela Orleans ‘J’ai Bien Du Chagrin’ (ClanDestine) from album ‘Tumult in Clouds’
2. Xenia Rubinos ‘Hair Receding’ (via Bandcamp) from album ‘Magic Trix’
3. Despot ‘House Made of Bricks’ (Live on KEXP)
4. Sauna Youth ‘Oh Joel’ (Static Shock) 7” single
5. Dyymond of Durham ‘Hunger’ (No Pain in Pop) from ‘The Bedroom Club II’ compilation
6. Jessica Sligter ‘The Perfect Vessel’ (Hubro) from album ‘Fear & The Framing’
7. Vondelpark ‘Dracula’ (R&S) 10” single
8. Marnie Stern ‘Year of The Glad’ (Kill Rock Stars) from forthcoming album ‘The Chronicles of Marnia’
9. Hav Lyfe ‘Wraplyf 2’ (Sonic Router) from album ‘Hav Lyfe’ out 4th July
10. Torche ‘Harmonslaught’ (Amnesian/No Idea) 7” single
11. Distances ‘His Geese Are Swans’ (Headway) from album ‘Distances’
12. Haiku Salut ‘Los Elefantes’ (How Does It Feel To Be Loved) free download out 7th January
13. Mac DeMarco ‘Sherrill’ (Captured Tracks) from album ‘2’
14. A$AP Rocky ‘1 Train ft. Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bada$$, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Action Bronson & Big K.R.I.T’ (A$AP Worldwide/Sony) from album ‘LongLiveA$AP’ out 15th January