Giorgio Albanese is an Italian accordion player, composer and improviser. Since 2006 he has been involved in various musical projects ranging from Jazz to contemporary music, world and free improvisation collaborating across various multidisciplinary artistic fields such as theater, dance, and cinema.
Born in Ostuni, Italy, in February 1986, Giorgio Albanese began playing the accordion at the age of eight and soon after he started participating and winning various national and international competitions.
He obtained a degree summa cum laude in “Jazz Music” at the Conservatory “Niccolò Piccinni” in Bari, Italy, a second degree in “New Composed and Improvised Languages” at the Conservatory in Monopoli, Italy, and at the 2009 Umbria Jazz Festival he won the title of “The Best Talent” in his category which included a scholarship at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. He studied and attended seminars with performers and musicians such as Kent Carter (USA), Jhon Thicai (DEN), Jerry Bergonzi (USA), Gianluigi Trovesi (ITA), Karl Berger (USA), Luigi Giannatempo (ITA), Greg Burk (USA), Alessandro Sbordoni (ITA), Dick Oatts (USA).
Throughout his career, he has collaborated with several Italian and international renowned musicians including Jhon Thicai (DEN), Gianni Lenoci (ITA), Steve Potts (USA), Mikael Swafirowski (FIN), Ricardo Tejero (SPA), Dominic Lash (UK), and William Parker (USA).
Giorgio Albanese has taken part in several musical projects and performed in concerts throughout Europe, in China, USA, South America, Russia and North Africa.
He has been awarded the following prizes:
- Italia Award – Jazz Accordion – 1st prize;
- World Accordion Championship – 2nd prize;
- Trophèe Mondiale de l’Accordeon – 2nd prize;
- 4th Accordion Art Festival – Italia Award 1st prize;
- International Competition “Premio Leo Ceroni”- 1st prize;
- National Roland V-Accordion Festival – 1st prize;
- Primus Ikaalinen Competition – 2nd prize;
- International Competition “Città di Lanciano” – 1st prize;
- Intenational Competition “Città di Capistrello” – 1st prize;
- International Competition “Trofeo Città di Palagianello” – 1st prize;
- International Competition for Accordion Player for Soloist and Group – 1st prize.
Giorgio Albanese’s tracks