Did you know that eating fast food regularly has a 7 times higher risk of stroke before 45 years? Dr. Joel Fuhrman, an Ivy League educated MD and an international speaker on nutrition has an important new book out Fast Food genocide which highlights how we are slowly killing ourselves and our children. He does a great job of revealing how unhealthy food is also marginalizing our most vulnerable populations. It causes diseases like heart attacks, strokes, cancer, obesity and more. He offers an inspiring message of natural healing. That we have the power to change our health and that its very easy to implement: just change what you put in your mouth!
Here are key questions he answers and highlights from his answers:
03:11 1. What is fast food?
- All processed foods
- Food with flour, sugar and oil like candy, soda, donuts, cookies
- Food that can be consumed fast
- These foods contain calories that are densed and are absorbed rapidly in the bloodstream which signals brain stimulation that is addicting
- These food contain synthetic ingredients and chemicals which make them further damaging to the body
- They don't contain significant amount of micronutrients
- Most processed food and junk food lowers intelligence
- The major source of calories the americans consume right now are in the category of fast food
- It also damages our genes resulting to children with lower intelligence, to immune conditions, autism, violence, obesity, diabetes and cancer.
Facts that most people don't know about:
- The consumption between donuts, cupcakes and candies for the age of 10 shows a greater relation with adult crime and illegal drug use than any other parameter including lack of parenting or poverty.
- Majority of the people in federal prisons are there for nonviolent drug related offenses.
- We flood our criminal system with people who are using drugs and this starts with the addiction they get to sugar and other fast food and processed food which destroys brain cells and gives you an abnormal brain that's seeking stimulation later on in life.
- These foods increase violence, aggression, lack of concentration and inability to make logical decisions.
08:08 2. Who did you write Fast Food Genocide for?
- This is a book for everyone to read because people don't know the implications of what they're putting in their mouth.
- Studies show that people who eat fast food 2x a week, just 2 servings of white flour, sugar, oil, commercial baked goods a week doubles the risk of depression.
- We underestimate the effects of poor food and poor nutrition on mental illness
- This will allow us to make better decisions in the future, to work together on equality, wellness for all people and to solve healthcare for the people
15:39 3. How do you switch from a life of convenience to a life of healthy meals?
- Lots of frozen meals are junk food but if you simply freeze vegetables and fruits, they still contain over 90% of their original nutrient content.
- The most important thing that's proven to extend human life and extend healthy life expectancy is eating a diet rich in micronutrients.
- Micronutrients do not contain calories. These contain vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals antioxidants. Many of these are destroyed with heat.
- It's not just the pesticide residue that is cause of major source of disease, but lack of nutrients.
- It is recommended to have a mild caloric restriction (not overeating calories)
- A high micronutrient environment includes over a pound of vegetables/fruits a day
- What makes fast food dangerous is that its grilled, fried in high flame, and reheating oil increases rancidity.
For rest of the insights and takeaways from the show including recipes for healthy apple a la mode for breakfast click this link below >>
- Health and Wellness