Jan 18: Quadraverb Feedback by C C O published on 2018-02-01T17:41:45Z I’m a bit late with the January patch, but I’ll continue the Patching Workout in 2018. Traditionally, I started the year with a no input reverb-resonator feedback patch. Here is the Quadraverb Feedback. The audio path is pretty straight forward: On the patchbay, the modular output is multed stereo to the DAW and mono to a Warm Audio WA76 to tame those feedback bursts. The WA76 then goes to the Quadraverb, the Quadraverb goes to the modular. I’m using the Taj Mahal preset, slightly tweaked to work nicely with the patch. In the modular, the audio input is multed to a Cwejman QMMF4 and RES4 to have eight resonator bands in parallel (which kind of makes it easier to get lower frequency feedback, IME). The outputs of them are mixed via a VCA4MX and then go to a SPH2. From there, it goes stereo to the output. That means that only the left channel is actually fed back, but audio is recorded from both L and R. For the modulations, a RG6 provides the basis of the patch. It is set rather slow and there’s some self-modulation from the random saw (via the internally patched path). The clock out syncs a (looping) CTG and a PH8. The remaining outputs are routed to various destinations: The low S/H out goes to a RES4 band frequency, the mid S/H out to CTG decay, a further RES4 band and a QMMF4 band. The high S/H out goes to yet another QMMF4 band. The inverted random saw is routed to the CTG attack, the normal random saw to another QMMF4 band. Additionally, the four PH8 quadrature saw outputs are modulating all four QMMF4 bands, which creates the occasional pinging sounds. Furthermore, a PH4 is used for the remaining two RES4 bands, the SPH2 L+R frequency, and the main frequency input of the QMMF4. Finally, the CTG out gates the audio coming in to the modular (via a VCA4MX). That’s pretty much the whole patch. I’m keeping the modulations pretty slow for most of the recording, tweaking all the resonator frequencies a bit. Later on, I additionally start to mess with the various frequencies of the modulators. It was a pretty long recording and I edited it pretty heavily to only keep some nicer parts. After that, I recorded a RE201 Space Echo return for the whole thing (I really should exchange the tape soon). As always, some delay, reverb, EQ and compression in Ableton to bring it all together. Hope you enjoy it and cheers!