I can't imagine a better way to celebrate our FIFTIETH episode than to discuss my favorite subject: Large vessel disease. Although we only cover one aspect of this stroke mechanism--atherosclerosis--and technically many of these trials may be somewhat outdated, the matter discussed in this episode remains the most up-to-date in the field. Take a listen.
BrainWaves podcasts and online content are intended for medical education only and should not be used to guide medical decision making in routine clinical practice.
1. Chaturvedi S, Bruno A, Feasby T, Holloway R, Benavente O, Cohen SN, Cote R, Hess D, Saver J, Spence JD, Stern B, Wilterdink J, Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of N. Carotid endarterectomy--an evidence-based review: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. 2005;65:794-801.
2. Kakkos SK, Nicolaides AN, Charalambous I, Thomas D, Giannopoulos A, Naylor AR, Geroulakos G, Abbott AL, Asymptomatic Carotid S and Risk of Stroke Study G. Predictors and clinical significance of progression or regression of asymptomatic carotid stenosis. J Vasc Surg. 2014;59:956-967 e1.
3. Rothwell PM, Eliasziw M, Gutnikov SA, Fox AJ, Taylor DW, Mayberg MR, Warlow CP, Barnett HJ and Carotid Endarterectomy Trialists C. Analysis of pooled data from the randomised controlled trials of endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis. Lancet. 2003;361:107-16.
4. Hosseini AA, Kandiyil N, Macsweeney ST, Altaf N and Auer DP. Carotid plaque hemorrhage on magnetic resonance imaging strongly predicts recurrent ischemia and stroke. Annals of neurology. 2013;73:774-84.
5. Lovett JK, Coull AJ and Rothwell PM. Early risk of recurrence by subtype of ischemic stroke in population-based incidence studies. Neurology. 2004;62:569-73.
6. Mantese VA, Timaran CH, Chiu D, Begg RJ, Brott TG and Investigators C. The Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy versus Stenting Trial (CREST): stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid disease. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation. 2010;41:S31-4.
7. Jauch EC, Saver JL, Adams HP, Jr., Bruno A, Connors JJ, Demaerschalk BM, Khatri P, McMullan PW, Jr., Qureshi AI, Rosenfield K, Scott PA, Summers DR, Wang DZ, Wintermark M, Yonas H, American Heart Association Stroke C, Council on Cardiovascular N, Council on Peripheral Vascular D and Council on Clinical C. Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation. 2013;44:870-947.
8. Chambers BR and Donnan GA. Carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2005:CD001923.