Billain - Colossus EP.
Forthcoming on Bad taste recordings.
Artwork by Enis Čišić
Story written by Adis Kutkut - Billain
Brian is the only person remembering "the old" Curt. Curt was a computational genius at the age of 5, "Pegasus H academy" as one of 3 youngest students with highest grades, surpassing the ordinary education as he grew up. Then he started from prosthetics improvements, and exoskel suit artificial muscles patent which brought him a EF prize…The man that cracked the human nature code, was never happy…Brian speaks, Curt wanted more, he felt how fragile, or solvable everything is, and his "heurekas" proven how things are "simple" to his perceptive capacity…and what a capacity that was…It was a full shelf of science trophies, and an empty shelf of family frames with no pictures depicts everything about Curt. He was...from somewhere else.
It was hard for Brian to watch Curt's genius madness on this scale, as the social skills were fading away like his old friend, a silent humble guy in the corner…and a new personality, cold and informative, appeared. Crew would say that Terminal tethering is Curt's own masohistic toy of suicide, as he invented iron maiden for himself. Now everyone is afraid of him, as everyone feels like granules on the wind around him. But he mean no harm…they say…and I believe in a way….
Curt performed dozens of surgical operations on himself, and he survived them healthy and intact, you could reach his spine trough series openings for transfer melting ports, as madman appeared, happy about his final experiment, a man with ports of spinal direct access to mainframe of hnet, free traveling information clusters trough universe. Several tubes reaching his brain trough a hole on his forehead…The morphic cables grew around his grey matter like parasitic tree roots in a skull in just few hours…and still nothing, guy is alive, and walking…"You can't play god", a Proteus religious cancelor Teo said. I remember Curt's eyes sweeping trough the members of The Corporate union, with all his holes and a "third eye" on his forehead wearing the largest investment in computational sector in history of HDDNC, on and in himself.
- "God? God needs to be redefined by more wisdom with which he would encourage both you and me if you believe in such existence, and i will execute the next step towards knowledge with or without you... it is the fear you need to fear, not me." - then he walked out…nobody stopped his messiah walk from the office to the final procedure, he brought so much to Earth and Mars that nobody had doubts any more even about his risk of death…But Captain Brian's "look trough the walls" was even more mysterious. It was a matter of great trust, a great risk, and a great loss.
T minus 3 minutes.
His hands and forehead lubricated, a team of scientists trained by Curt, on the panels…He takes a minute watching a picture he brought with him, it was a picture of M.C. Escher's sphere study from 1935. He watched it for the last time as someone would watch a family picture. Turns to Brian, tells him something discreetly, turns to us and says "Now I will change everything…This is history and future…I will present you life"…Such power of words and work in one person was taken profoundly silent and the same silence before the startup of the fluids going trough the cables to his spine was chilling. Scientists checking the patches…Hands going locked in the machine, forehead into a visor…You could hear the cables clicking in his skull like a perfect machine adapter measurements…
One very profoundly non human scream from Curt…Low tones coming out of central patch. Steaming metals leaking around his spinal cords to the centre reflected a scream of history changer and future shaper…electricity bursting around the ports on his back and visor…it was like electric chair execution back on earth 6 centuries ago…burned human flesh and bones smell floated around the deck…Silence, dead silence…Curt is still standing, like a parasite…connected…pulse is stabile…but he does not breathe.Brian approached begging for words."Curt….Curt…Please…Speak to me…Curt…"
- "Hello Captain" - came out of every speaker in the room synced with Curt's lips. The voice was on multiple frequency register…"I just mirrored myself in the cluster…I am sure that this is one plausible definition of a god…this power, has no limits…Don't worry about my body, now I can always find a replacement."
- "Replacement? What power you found? What, what can you see Curt?" asked Captain in a fearful tone.
- "See? Thats too simple for a perception…But lets simplify…It is covering vast space, floating on autonomous will. Is this god? Well if it is, I can see it…The knowledge is…enormous, and it is open source…"
- "Curt, we can't understand a thing you are experiencing, but we are willing to learn everything you provide us, as we always did…And yes, we are afraid of you now, I am afraid of you. You stink like burned corpse standing tethered to millions of corporate cables if you understand what i mean"
-"Captain, your reaction is a normal human process. It is over now, fear not, my human cluster is stored, but i edited the emotional part for the rational goods…and Brian…Yes, I am Curt…but latin terminus is a bound, limit, end, end of a line where signals are transmitted and received, I am a point along the length from the god Terminus who presided over boundaries…
From now on, don't call me Curt…Call me Terminal"