10 Years Of Anjunabeats
Mixed By Above & Beyond
When Jono, Tony and Paavo set up their Anjunabeats label back in 2000, it was mainly an outlet for their own burgeoning productions as (among other aliases) Above & Beyond. There was no masterplan, just a dedication to quality and forward-thinking dance music.
Today, Above & Beyond’s overspilling DJ diary reads like a departure board at Heathrow airport. Their debut artist album ‘Tri-State’ sold countless copies worldwide and became a genre classic. Above & Beyond’s songs are sung back to them by tens of thousands of clubbers at the biggest festival stages on the planet and their flagship gigs include launching Richard Branson’s new SpaceShip for Virgin Galactic, rocking 1million people on Rio’s Barra Beach, and a recent sell-out at Brixton Academy.
Now counting over 200 single releases, an award-winning compilation series and with deeper sub label Anjunadeep in tow, Anjunabeats remains the heartbeat of all Above & Beyond’s activity. Renowned as a taste-making torchbearer for quality uplifting dance music, Anjunabeats has grown into a global label family responsible for nurturing talents like Super8 & Tab, Nitrous Oxide and Mat Zo to both critical acclaim and club supremacy.
For this anniversary release, Above & Beyond look back over the Anjunabeats’ legacy by mixing 10 timeless tracks that remind us just how forward-thinking the label has been over its 10 years. As well as Above & Beyond’s own classic ‘Can’t Sleep’, tracks like Bart Claessen & Dave Schiemann’s ‘Madness’ (I Prefer This Mix), Signalrunners ‘These Shoulders’, Daniel Kandi’s ‘Breathe’ and Smith & Pledger’s ‘Northern Lights’ still sound as visceral, energising and uplifting as they did the first time round.
Of course, Anjunabeats is a label driven by forward motion and it is for that reason that Above & Beyond present a second of disc updated and reinterpreted versions of those 10 classic tracks, with highlights including a melodic house-influenced remix of Mat Zo’s ‘Synapse Dynamics’ by Russian trance prodigy Arty, a dark, throbbing tech transformation of Super8 & Tab’s brooding but euphoric ‘Helsinki Scorchin’ by Bart Claessen, and Super8 & Tab’s respectful, futuristic version of Above & Beyond’s ‘Can’t Sleep’.
To celebrate this landmark release there will be also be a 10 Years of Anjunabeats party at The Gallery (Ministry Of Sound) on Friday 3rd December featuring an Anjunabeats All Stars line up of Kyau & Albert, Mat Zo, Bart Claessen, Oliver Smith and Nitrous Oxide in the Box, and Anjunadeep favourites 16 Bit Lolitas, Jody Wisternoff and James Grant in the 103.
CD 01 Originals
1. Mat Zo - Synapse Dynamics
2. Signalrunners and Julie Thompson - These Shoulders
3. Maor Levi - Reflect
4. Above & Beyond - Can't Sleep
5. Super8 & Tab - Helsinki Scorchin’
6. Bart Claessen & Dave Schiemann – Madness (I Prefer This Mix)
7. Daniel Kandi - Breathe
8. Nitrous Oxide - North Pole
9. Sunny Lax – P.U.M.A.
10. Smith & Pledger - Northern Lights
CD 02 Remixes
1. Maor Levi - Reflect [Jerome Isma-Ae]
2. Signalrunners - These Shoulders [Andy Moor]
3. Mat Zo - Synapse Dynamics [Arty]
4. Super8 & Tab - Helsinki Scorching [Bart Claessen]
5. Sunny Lax - P.U.M.A [Mat Zo]
6. Nitrous Oxide - North Pole [Sunny Lax]
7. Above & Beyond - Can't Sleep
8. Daniel Kandi - Breathe [7Skies]
9. Bart Claessen & Dave Schiemann - Madness [Nitrous Oxide]
10. Smith & Pledger - Northern Lights [Breakfast]