Stats for this track
Music has always been in the blood of this week’s guest DJ, Sol (a.k.a. Dave Sol Bailey). He comes from three generations of musicians including his father, Rich Bailey, who was a sax player in his own jazz group. So it’s no small coincidence that Sol himself took a shine to music from a pretty early age. Growing up in Los Angeles in the late 70s and early 80s, Sol found inspiration in the newly-emerging hip-hop sound of that era (e.g. Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, The Crash Crew and Afrika Bambaataa) - a style that became the impetus for a DJ career that now spans three decades.
Perhaps the earliest evidence of Sol’s talent for DJing were the mixed tapes he made for his friends which by the mid 80s led to gigs at house parties all over Los Angeles. After moving to San Francisco in the early 90s to further his education in studio engineering, Sol discovered an underground music scene that was only just beginning to flourish. It was within this community, at events such as the infamous 'Space Children', 'Full Moon' and 'Wicked' parties, that Sol was introduced to house, techno and breakbeat. Inspired by these new styles of music and energized by a thriving underground dance scene, Sol began to truly harness his potential as a DJ. By 1995, he was playing every major venue in San Francisco.
Sol’s style is always evolving but the one constant is that his music remains on the cutting edge. These days he can be heard spinning an eclectic mishmash of house, breaks and beat at his biweekly party, "Vivid", with DJ Seven at Wish (wishsf.com) in San Francisco (now in its 8th year!). You can also catch Sol playing alongside The Space Cowboys at their annual Breakfast of Champions New Year’s Day party and with Uncorked Events (www.uncorkedevents.com).
Finally, here’s a little sampling of Sol’s funky, eclectic style for your aural pleasure. This mix, entitled “I Know U Got Sol”, brings us back to the Nu Funk sound we’ve come to know so well on this podcast. Enjoy!
Sol's mix is also available on iTunes: http://bit.ly/goughstreet-iTunes
1. Stratus Quo (DJ Sol edit) - 6th Borough Project
2. Ya Need A Funky Band (Da Wiesel remix) (DJ Sol edit) - Basement Freaks
3. Nappy Riddem (QDUP Foundation Remix) - Nappy Riddem
4. Millions Ways To Swim feat. Tal M. Klein (Audited Beats Remix) -Quincy Jointz
5. Right Place, Wrong Time (Fort Knox Five Remix) - Dr John
6. Food Run Feat Michael Conner (Jayl Funk Remix) - Camels on Duty
7. Sisters Of Soul, Brothers Of Funk (Greg Wilson Version) - 6ix Toys
8. The Place (Flashbaxx Remix) (DJ Sol Edit) - Quincy Jointz
9. Think (Club Mix) - Globe by dj Max & Gabb
10. Killa Soundboy (Featurecast Remix) - Fort Knox Five feat. Sleepy Wonder & Zeebo
11. Deep South (BadboE remix) - Layo & Bushwacka
12. Electric Feel (Nate Wize RMX) - MGMT
13. Life Gets Better (Original Mix) - Ed Solo & Skool Of Thought
Visit http://solsoundmusic.com/djsolmixes.html to check out more of Sol's mixes!
Release date: May 7, 2010