Stats for this track
In 3 Sets
In 1 Group
The instructions for this piece were as follows: "Please copy the instructions to this project and save them as a text file. You will then open that file in one or more pieces of audio-processing software. The resulting sound will serve as the foundation of your track. You can only use the sounds resulting from the text file in the process of making your track. You can manipulate the sounds, and you can use multiple versions that result from different pieces of software, but you cannot add any other sounds."
My process (all in Audacity unless otherwise indicated):
- Saved the text to a file and opened it as raw data in Audacity, treating it as a stereo 16-bit 44.1K WAV file. This yielded a track 0.01s long.
- Normalized it.
- Clipped the ends at zero crossings.
- Appended copies of the data to itself until it was about 1.7s long.
- Time-stretched it 180x in Paul's Extreme Stretch.
- Lowered the pitch to about 60Hz
- Applied three generations of reverb.
- Time-contracted it to make it about 3 minutes long.
- Converted to MP3.
More details on the Disquiet Junto at Disquiet Junto.
Image credit: "chair monotony" by Verleihnix on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/d-workx/1021837992/), used under a Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0).