Stats for this track
In 4 Sets
Karen Gwyer leads us through her diverse record collection with a wondrous 50 minute selection.
Born in Ann Arbor, Gwyer's entire life to date seems to have been closely tied to music in one form or another; a youth spent learning classical instruments at the behest of her cellist parents; becoming entranced by the low budget dance music shows of the late 80s; exposure to the Midwest noise scene as it was first growing and moving to New York as a 17 year old to see the last vestiges of the city’s house culture get swallowed by “tepid guitar-themed tedium”.
Now based in London, Gwyer's musical experiences have been put to practice with a succession of intriguing self-styled “Labyrinthine plasmic pulsations” that commenced with I’ve Been You Twice, her contribution to patten’s experimental tape and digital label Kaleidoscope last year. This was followed by Needs Continuum, one of this year's more captivating debut albums which arrived via the always interesting No Pain In Pop. Gwyer's relationship with both Kaleidoscope and No Pain In Pop continues to bear new possibilities as the year progresses, recently delivering a remix of Orphan for the former label whilst being the subject of numerous sonic reinventions for the latter.
This has already manifested itself in a free to download collection of remixes from Doom Squad, Not Not Fun artist Samantha Glass, Neon Pulse and new London producer Marrak. Excitingly, this will be complemented by a 12" of remixes from Torn Hawk entitled Cowboys (For Karen) which is set for release through No Pain In Pop next month. With all this in mind, we invited Karen to join the Juno Plus podcast fray, and she turned in a wonderful selection of records as well as answering some questions we sent via email.
1. Ash Ra Temple - Jenseits
2. Guem et Zaka Percussion - La forêt vierge
3. Prince Buster - 7 Wonders of the World
4. The Suburban Knight - Nocturbulous
5. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski - Quand les ghettos brûleront
6. Bad News - Real Bad News
7. Sheila E. - The Glamorous Life
8. Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Late Day Sun Silhouettes
9. Marcos Cabral - Tio Rico
10. Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Synastry
11. Amadu Bansang Jobarteh - Alla L'aa Ke
12. Unknown village elder near Kisumu - The Nilotic Harp
13. Shake Shakir - It Erased Me
14. Invisible Men - Moon Quarter
15. Madteo - We Doubt (You Can Make It)
16. Sandeeno - Put Down De Guns (Version)
17. The Upsetters - Thanks & Dub