Stats for this track
In 1 Set
- 4 Tracks, 4.00
THE IDEA: Use these tones to calibrate your system for listening to audio through soundcloud and other places online. Our perception of how good something sounds varies depending on how loud it is when we listen to it, so this system helps to maintain a consistent listening level between your studio and the internet.
THE THEORY: You can use a standard tone to calibrate the level of each audio source you listen to. If the sine wave reads the same on a VU meter when the audio is coming from both the net and your digital audio workstation, you know that the music will be at a consistent level too.
HOW TO SET IT UP:
1) Make sure the audio coming from soundcloud is going through a VU meter. Make sure you are able to adjust the gain before it hits the VU meter.
2) Play the test tone of your choice (if you listen to loud tracks, use the -12dB tone, if you listen to more dynamic music use the -18dB test tone, if you are somewhere in between, use -14 or -16dB) then adjust the gain until the VU meter reads 0dB.
3) Make sure the audio coming from your workstation is going through a VU meter. Make sure you are able to adjust the gain before it hits the VU meter.
4) Download the same tone and play it through your workstation, then adjust the gain until the VU meter reads 0dB.
5) Now you can work on a track, listen to it in the studio and on soundcloud at the same level. This is essential for comparing how your tracks sound compared to other stuff out there!
NOTE: this will only work if you can adjust the level of soundcloud and your workstation separately. If they are both running through the same sound card, you may need to configure the outputs separately.