Need a gift for a gifted musician?
The SoundCloud Premium accounts also come as virtual gifts and it takes only two minutes to get one. Head over to our Gift page and check out the different Premium accounts starting at only €29 per year.
Work. The term is one rich with layers. Work is Bern & the Brights’ latest EP, and the broad scope of the record’s title could not be more appropriate. Some songs’ themes literally tie into “labor,” providing a commentary on the suffering economy and the everyday person’s basic longing to be happy and free, as opposed to strained to no end, struggling to only keep afloat. Other songs deal with the work of romantic relationships, the work of introspection, the work of keeping up your spirits and holding onto what matters.
Bern & the Brights formed in 2008 and have since been sharing their brand of danceable, romantic nerd-rock. Their first gig was held during the closing night of a local bookstore. They have since acquired an unusual number of fans who are librarians, vagrant café rats, and introverted record collectors. Their sound can be described as familiar but fresh, warm, and feverously energetic. This new record, with its guitar-laden rock at the foreront, should be played loudly on a long drive.
Bern & the Brights have performed with Butch Walker, Rhett Miller, Mike Doughty, Nicole Atkins, Living Colour, Melissa Ferrick, Allo Darlin’, Ian Hunter, The Baseball Project, The Wombats, Fishbone, Chiddy Bang, Val Emmich, Hank & Cupcakes, The Dirty Urchins, and My Pet Dragon.
Festivals & Events:
- Union County Music Fest with Spoon, OK GO, and Soul Asylum
- Dewey Beach Music Conference, 2012
- Yelp! Brooklyn Summer Fest
- MOVE Music Fest
- Utica Music Fest
- Sweet Tea Pumpkin Pie Fest
- Hoboken Arts Fest
- Webster Hall (ballroom)
- Webster Hall (studio)
- City Winery
- Rockwood Music Hall
- The Stone Pony
- House of Blues (Atlantic City)
- Mexicali Live
- “As Long As I’m Alive” on College Radio Day compilation with We Are Scientists
- SuperCuts Rock the Cut Artist (“Starchild” added to 2,000+ stores’ playlist)
- Reverbnation Homepage Featured Artist, April 2012
- 2nd Place (out of 1,400 national bands) in the Virgin Mobile Contest
- “Sleepless Aristotle” in weekly rotation on Music Choice: Adult Alternative
- Disc of the Week, 08/02/10 | The Aquarian Weekly
- Won two 2010 Hoboken Music Awards: Oustanding Band and Oustanding EP
- Band to Watch | ThereGoesTheFear.com and TheBlueWalrus.com
- 101.9RXP Bands of 2010 (Nominated by DJ Rich Russo)
- Aquarian Weekly’s 2012, 2011, and 2010 On the Verge Band
- “May in New York” | 2009 songwriting contest winner, 101.9 RXP
- Radio Airplay on 101.9 RXP The Rock Show with Matt Pinfield and Leslie Framm
- “Dismantled” 2009 MEISA Best Song, selected by “DMC” Darryl McDaniels
- Named in the top 50 Emerging Artists of NYC for 2008 by The Deli Magazine