Track artwork

Coldplay - Clocks

benreaves on May 27, 2012 04:10

Rock
Play
0.00 / 5.09
Hide the comments

Stats for this track

This Week Total
Plays 23238 561885
Comments 7 311
Favoritings 297 8344

Uploaded by

  • Report copyright infringement

    In 8261 Sets

    View all

    In 2 Groups

    More tracks by benreaves

    You Blew It! - Kevin You're Such a Disease

    The Digital Age - Hallelujah (Old Instrumental)

    20140606 Burning Solitude WIP

    Hosanna

    With Everything

    View all

    So Reid Craft and myself decided, "Let's do a cover of Clocks."

    So we did.

    Stuff we used:

    Software:
    FL Studio 10.0.9
    iZotope Ozone 4
    NI Guitar Rig 4 (tape echo; chorused reverb; Memory Man; Tube Screamer; Proco RAT, Ampeg amp, compression, noise reduction, cab/mic modeling for bass)
    IL Sytrus
    NI Mikro Prism
    NI Absynth 4
    Garritan Personal Orchestra (grand piano)
    Toontrack Superior Drummer 2
    Waves Tape, Tubes, and Transistors pack v9 (demo, keys and synth only)
    Celemony Melodyne

    Hardware:
    PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL
    Ibanez RG321MH with stock Infinity p'ups and Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings (.10-.46)
    Zoom G9.2tt with Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-C and GT-12AX7-R2 preamps
    1993 Peavey Classic 50 2x12 with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7s and Sovtek EL84s (piece of crap power tubes)
    Martin OMC160GTE Grand Auditorium with Elixir NanoWeb coated strings (.11-.52)
    Shure Beta 57A dynamic microphone

    Methods:
    Amp miking was pretty simple, but effective given the results. DIs were tracked, then re-amped using the Beta 57A about 5" back from the combo, 1.5" left of center, and 2" down from center pointing towards vertical center. Little EQ was applied, save the boost at 2.9 kHz for presence in the mix.
    Acoustic recording was a pretty standard method, using both the piezoelectric pickup under the bridge and the Beta 57 pointed at the highest frets on the fretboard. The two signals were then compressed with both digital and tube-emulated compressors and lightly EQ'd with a fixed phaser. I made sure to set a late attack on the compressors so the attack of the strums would really shine through.
    Vocal miking was the usual: the same Shure mic on a large boom stand with a pop screen attached to it. We stood it so that the slapback on the wall behind the vocalist would be absorbed by a mattress.

    - Reid and Ben

    311 Comments

    309 timed comments and 2 regular comments

    Add a new comment

    You need to be logged in to post a comment. If you're already a member, please or sign up for a free account.

    Share to WordPress.com

    If you are using self-hosted WordPress, please use our standard embed code or install the plugin to use shortcodes.
    Add a comment 0 comments at 0.00
      Click to enter a
      comment at
      0.00