Need a gift for a gifted musician?
The SoundCloud Premium accounts also come as virtual gifts and it takes only two minutes to get one. Head over to our Gift page and check out the different Premium accounts starting at only €29 per year.
Andrea Ahimie-Carthy may tell you she spins for fun- but don’t let that fool you. A lack of the usual ego associated with those serious chaps who stand behind turntables making equally serious faces while tweaking their beards, makes her prone to underestimate a passionate, educated, heartfelt and un-hackneyed approach to music. With deep house, disco, soul and funk at its core, Andrea’s open mindedness impacts on inevitably unhinged dancers and beard stroking listeners alike. She’d tell you too she has no interest in mixing, but her natural ability to put the records in the right order (and there is only ever one right order) so that those dancers and strokers can hear her story makes her one of the finest and most underestimated DJs Manchester has. There are precious few who can join the dots from new house to treasured boogie classics without struggling, worrying about perceptions of their cool or making a mess. Andrea makes it work every time because she feels it. Playing under the moniker Trout for most of the time this has not gone unnoticed. A typical review remarked, ‘hear a diversity of sounds from ‘80s soul to Brook Benton by way of good pop and funk from the future’.
Her CV speaks for itself. You don’t get to play at these places unless you have the heart and the soul:
• Mr Scruff’s New Year’s Eve Party, Music box, Manchester
• Harter Street (Electriks), Manchester
• The Big Chill 2002/ 2003/ 2004/ 2006/ 2009 Eastnor Castle, Herefordshire
• Revolver, Melbourne, Australia
• The Medicine Bar, Custard Factory, Birmingham
• Phonic Hoop, The Enigma, Brighton
• Fidgit, Plan B, Brixton
• Fun Lovin’ Criminals After Show Party, Circle Club, Manchester
• Nish Nash Nosh (Electriks), Mint Lounge, Manchester
• Garden Festival, Zardar, Croatia 2006/2007/2008
• Omar @ Behind The Groove, Mint Lounge, Manchester
• Boogie People, Section 8, Melbourne, Australia
• The Argyle Bar, Sydney, Australia
• One Deck, One Armchair Sessions, Electriks, Manchester
• Turn The Tables, The Nook, Manchester
If you would like to book Trout or any of our other DJs / would like more information, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
John McCready (Word Magazine)