Stats for this track
In 11 Sets
- 7 Tracks, 8.16.28
- 147 Tracks, 173.21.42
- 40 Tracks, 43.40.46
- 192 Tracks, 288.41.52
More tracks by Addicted_kiev
Inigo Kennedy – Addicted Podcast #13
Despite the number 13 being considered the one unlucky, this beautifully crafted mix by one of our heroes Inigo Kennedy proves the opposite. With some proper four-to-the-floor techno tracks mixed to something you don’t hear in a club so often on board, this podcast represents what we would expect every decent DJ to be capable of – that is creating a story rather than just playing a bunch of recent tunes. We hope you feel this way too – if that’s the case, you’ll definitely enjoy this mix.
- When we met you in Berlin earlier this year you were about to play a vinyl-only set at the wonderful venue called ‘://about:blank’. This is quite an impressive decision for a person who is known to be running a digital label. What does this have to do with? Is this common for you these days?
- I don't think those activities are mutually exclusive and in fact I still use vinyl almost every time I play; usually I use a combination of vinyl and CD, simply because I get so much music digitally and I prefer to play that from CD and work with physical media. I've never used a laptop on the road. I was very happy about the request to play vinyl only for ://about blank and it's totally natural for me to use three turntables so immediately I knew that I would do it. In fact it was interesting to change a little from how I might otherwise play since I could choose different music than I might with CDs included. My reasons for Asymmetric having become digital are different to my reasons for continuing to play vinyl; that is much more to do with the reducing certain boundaries and being able to be more creative and direct. At the same time I am working constantly with other labels that have a very strong vinyl identity such as Token and Semantica. I think it remains as one of the best formats for music and seems to be gaining in strength again too.
- On top of past achievements of yours, nowadays you are also happy to be associated with such excellent labels like Token and Semantica among others. What is it about these imprints that makes them so special? What do you have in common with their philosophy?
- Well in part as I mentioned above it is because they have a strong vinyl identity but also I think there is a fundamental philosophy of quality and loyalty that I like a lot. Token in particular feels like a family and the planning and concept of the label is really strong but at the same time it feels like a label that is always evolving and pushing forward rather than trying to replicate the same old same old. On a different side, Semantica has the feeling of a passionately run cottage industry with a strong creative aesthetic and slightly punk attitude. I like all of those ideals!
- We know you got married this year. Do you think this impact your musical beginnings? Any plans for a short break?
- I think music is definitely in my blood, it something I get a lot of enjoyment from, so I'm sure it will carry on and being married is a great feeling too! It might be interesting to see how life changes when family comes along all being well! That could change perspective in a lot of ways but I think very good ones in any case. I think it would be fair to say my music has evolved quite naturally over the years already and it has always been something quite personal to me so it will just go in the direction that it goes and we will see where that will be!
- It was quite a surprise for us to find out you were of Ukrainian descent. Tell us about your connections with our country and your relationship with Eastern Europe generally (as you’ve had a chance to perform around here numerous times).
- Yeah, I have family roots in Eastern Europe, on my mum's side, and in fact I've always found that there is something I like about the attitude and way of life as well. Not to mention that I am quite familiar with the food and cooking from that side of my family also! I've spent a lot of time there and visited many countries in the region and some years ago I spent a lot of time living in Prague too and I learnt quite a lot of the Czech language. That's not something that a lot of people would try I guess but I've really enjoyed it and, as languages are quite strongly connected with culture and history, it was really interesting thing to learn too. It's really interesting to see how the language and culture of the whole region are connected as well; it almost carries you above the physical borders but at the same time you get these big changes in just a few kilometres. All that said, I have never been to Ukraine though so I hope I will get that chance sometime soon! The other side of my family has roots in Wales and Scotland so it makes a nice mix; I can't speak any Welsh though :)
- Your mix for our podcast series is nothing short of remarkable. Please tell us about the idea behind this mix. How and then was it recorded?
- I recorded it quite recently. It was done with a mix of vinyl, CD and Traktor Scratch and probably with a big mug of tea to hand. The idea is simply to play good music but I suppose as it usually is when I make a mix like this the idea is to be a little bit broader than I might be in a club environment and try to introduce a few special things and not be afraid to turn dark corners and see what might be there. I picked out a few tracks that I knew I wanted to include but the way it came together was just the way it happened at the time. Part of my enjoyment of mixing is just going with the flow and finding that there is almost always a way for tracks to work together. It's when I'm not thinking about it that it is the best!
I hope you will enjoy the mix and, as I learnt in Berlin when we have met, bud'mo!
1. Inigo Kennedy - Obsidian (Excerpt) [token017]
2. Reformed Faction - Hollerei LX [saste003]
3. Ken Karter - Kript 05 [kript002]
4. Tommy Four Seven - Arx [sam013]
5. Inigo Kennedy - Untitled [unreleased]
6. Tripeo - First Trip (B1) [trip001]
7. Woo York - Void (Truncate Remix) [mux006]
8. Inigo Kennedy - Spectre [token24]
9. Rrose - 23 Lashes [eaux291]
10. Attemporal – Att 3 (Rebekah Remix) [attseries003]
11. The Fear Ratio - Fedec [bp035]
12. Kangding Ray - Thar [sam011]
13. Shed - Day After [50weaponscd008]
14. Dead Sound & Videohead - Pay Your Due [prtp003]
15. Chris Page - Four Thousand Suns [sr006]
16. Justin Berkovi - Mondrian [trapezcd11]
17. Unbalance - Wandering Soul [ohwl#ten]
18. Tom Dicicco - Identity [nnn02]
19. Developer - The Uncertain (Shapednoise Remix) [semantica39x]
20. Rrose - White Drip [sd20]
21. Mekas - Hamburgo (Mattias Fridell Remix) [pr021]
22. Inigo Kennedy - Wonderhorse [token24]
23. Conrad van Orton - Nuisance [key003v]
24. Auction For The Promise Club - Under China (Inigo Kennedy Remix) [unreleased]